Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Unforgettable moments

Some unforgettable memories.
This incident took place when I was i staying in Delhi in the mid 90s.
My husband Venu was invited for a party thrown by the Editor in Chief of The Statesman. There were Black Cats all over. Wondered why. Then came to know that there were VIPs attending.
As I was sitting at the table for lunch( a Parsi menu), I noticed Mr Mark Tully (former Bureau Chief of BBC) and Late Mr. Madhavrao Scindia were also at the same table. The person sitting beside me was explaining how the dessert called Rabadi was made and I listened intently with my own questions.
As lunch got over and I was leaving the table, my sari got stuck under a chair and a man quickly came to my rescue, he was no other than (late) Mr. Madhav rao Scindia.
There was Mr TN Sheshan (past election commissioner) and his wife with whom I struck a friendship.
When returning home Venu asked me if I was in my senses and told me that the person with whom I was chatting at the table was (late) Mr. Irani himself. and asked me why I patted Mr Sheshan/s wife on her back to say I was leaving. No regrets.
The second incident was in Secuderabad.
Had gone to an open air party thrown by a corporate friend.
Lots of V VIPs including Telgu film stars had come.
As I was leaving, an aged person stood up with folded hands. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised to see that it was (Late) Mr. Nageshwara Rao. Really unforgettable.

Third incident happened in Chennai.
I was the judge of an English play performed by students at an Inter school competition. I was sitting with a few papers on my lap and a book when (late) MSV came walking past the seat where I was seated. I hurriedly tried to stand but found it difficult with the papers and book. A humble personality, he came stood before me with folded hands with a wide smile on his face.


Incidents to be cherished.

No comments: