Saturday, April 19, 2014

Queer snaky experience

                                                                           Alphabet


                                                             
Q for queer.

The queer happening  took place in the early 60s. I used to spend my vacation in a small town called Chittur, a district in Palakkad in Kerala. I was staying in my father's ancestral home. My aunts used to go to the river for bathing. One day, I went with my aunts, but sat on the riverbank as I was not very keen to bathe in full view of everyone.
As I sat there, admiring the thick green vegetation, I chanced to see a snake, a foot long, appear suddenly and disappearing into a hole.
I don't know what prompted me to go behind the poor thing and before it could get into the hole, I stamped on its tail that was the only part visible. It wriggled and disappeared.
It would have sent an SOS to its species because within moments, the whole riverbank was filled with its kith and kin. What unity! Humans ignore a wounded person on the street and here were the reptiles showing brotherhood. I have seen such things with birds especially crows. I stood rooted with fright.
The snakes were getting to be too many. Seeing this, my frightened aunt  told me to leave the place immediately.
I ran as fast as I could thinking hell was let loose. I ran till I reached home. I heaved a sigh of relief to see that there was no army of revengeful snakes slithering behind me.
Later, I heard that Nagaraga was pacified with milk, some pooja etc. Because I was not haunted by any Nagin, I believe Nagaraja was pacified.
But I am really very sorry even now for my ignorant action. Forgive me Lord Najaraja!!!

Linking this to A-Z challenge. Q is for Queer Snaky Experience Snaky experience



Sorry sent post on R by mistake

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Intersting one Anu!

~S(t)ri
Participant|AtoZ Challenge 2014
Smile, it makes (y)our day!

Shailaja V said...

What you did as a child can never be construed as harm. But, I agree on the animal-bonding aspect. Very wonderful to see, isn't it? This was a very visual post. I could see the snakes come together in hordes!

~Shailaja's latest A~Z post